In this Soundings Seminar, Rev. Bill Haley converses with Dr. Walter E. Fluker about the overlapping and sometimes competing visions of community held by Howard Thurman and Martin Luther King, Jr. One of the leading Thurman scholars in the world, Dr. Fluker also unpacks the life, key beliefs, and lasting impact of Howard Thurman on the Civil Rights movement and what his witness has to offer our present moment. It is a truly rich, sobering, and ultimately inspiring conversation, and we hope you will be blessed by it.
Offered as part of our “Towards the Beloved Community” Initiative
Thank You to our Event Partners for this Seminar:
RESOURCES FROM THE CONVERSATION
From Dr. Fluker:
- Article: “How Howard Thurman met Gandhi and brought nonviolence to the civil rights movement”
- Article: “They Looked for a City: A Comparison of the Idea of Community in Howard Thurman and Martin Luther King, Jr.”
- Book: Ethical Leadership: The Quest for Character, Civility, and Community
- Book: The Ground Has Shifted: The Future of the Black Church in Post-Racial America
From Howard Thurman:
From Martin Luther King, Jr:
- Book: Never to Leave Us Alone: The Prayer Life of Martin Luther King Jr.
- Book: Strength to Love
- Book: Where Do We Go From Here: Chaos or Community?